EPS Bernard L. Schwartz Symposium:
November 12, 2013
Jobs, Investment, and Rebuilding America: Economic and National Security Issues
Hyatt Regency Washington on Captiol Hill
While Congress fiddles, America burns. Jobs remain scarce, foreclosures rampant, mortgages under water, pensions fragile, wages too low. Our infrastructure remains in decay. And we are still not meeting the economic or national security challenges that we have inherited from a decade of frustrating global failures. On Tuesday, November 12, Economists for Peace and Security will present a symposium on these issues – and why they should trump today's disastrous preoccupations with budget balance, spending cuts, sequestration and the debt ceiling.
The symposium’s keynote address will be delivered by Dr. Jason Furman, Chair, Council of Economic Advisers. There will be three panels, with participation from many of America's most distinguished policy economists, journalists, and security specialists.
Please join us for this important symposium. To register for this free event, email email@example.com.
Schedule of Events:
8:30am Registration & Breakfast
9:00am Welcoming Remarks
- James K. Galbraith, Economists for Peace and Security
9:15 – 10:05 Session One - A Jobs-Investment-Security Agenda
Chair: Michael Lind
- Allen Sinai, Economic Performance in Perspective
- Michael Tomasky, the State of the Middle Class Now
- Sherle Schwenninger, Jobs and Investment
- Ron Unz, Raising the Minimum Wage
10:05 – 10:45 Keynote:
- Jason Furman, Chair, Council of Economic Advisers
10:45 – 11:35 Session Two - US Security Policy After Syria
Chair: Richard Kaufman
- Heather Hurlburt, The Implications of the Syrian Bargain
- Winslow Wheeler, An Unaffordable Defense Budget
- Peter Galbraith, Lessons for Future Diplomacy
- Carl Conetta, US Grand Strategy Now
- Colonel Douglas MacGregor, The Uses of the Military in the World Now
11:35 – 12:25 Session Three: The Economic and Financial Risks and Dangers
Chair: Richard Parker
- Stan Collender, The Budget and Spending Cuts
- Bill Black, Out-of-Control Banks and Non-Regulation
- Bruce Bartlett, Tax Reform
- Josh Bivens, Wages and Incomes (invited)
- Yanis Varoufakis, Europe
12:25 – 12:30
Closing Comments: James Galbraith
This event is free, please register in advance.
To register for this event email firstname.lastname@example.org.